Three names on the shortlist: RB Leipzig is looking for Nagelsmann’s successor

RB Leipzig is focusing on three candidates in the search for a successor for coach Julian Nagelsmann. A shortlist of “three interesting coaches” has been created, explained managing director Oliver Mintzlaff on Tuesday: “But nothing has been decided yet.”

Also with Jesse Marsch (Red Bull Salzburg), mentioned by Mintzlaff by name, no agreement had been reached. In addition to the American, Oliver Glasner (VfL Wolfsburg) and Pellegrino Matarazzo (VfB Stuttgart) are possible Nagelsmann successors.

The new coach will “not turn the philosophy established by Nagelsmann inside out,” said Mintzlaff. Little has changed in the club’s ambitions either. “We will close the gap. We are convinced that we will bring competence back to us. Julian has achieved great things and has to deliver too. Then the wheel will keep turning.”

Next year there will be an “attack on Julian and FCB”: “We will not reduce our ambitions. Next year the goal is again: Champions League qualification.”

Mintzlaff defended the clearance for Nagelsmann as the “rational best decision”. A “massively high transfer demand” was made in the negotiations, which FC Bayern fulfilled. According to reports, Leipzig will receive the world record fee of allegedly up to 25 million euros. Mintzlaff did not confirm a specific sum, “but at least we do not deny what is being rumored,” said Mintzlaff.

Leave a Reply