David Barrufet: “I didn’t expect to be fired by Barça”

David Barrufet will cease to be the head of Barcelona’s handball section at the end of the season The section’s change of course has already led to an agreement with Xavi Pascual, who will cease to be the coach in June. The new board of Joan Laporta changes in this way the organization chart of a section that has added 48 titles since Pascual took over as coach in 2009, including 11 consecutive leagues and two Champions Leagues. On Thursday, the Barça team qualified for the Final Four to be held in Cologne on June 12 and 13. The club plans the incorporation of the former player and current Hannover coach, Antonio Carlos Ortega, as the team’s top technical manager next season.

“On the 19th I was told that I would not continue leading either the section or the club when this season ends, as a new project is being sought,” Barrufet explained to the Efe agency. The exporter and now sports director, who had been at the Barça club for 37 years, added: “Maybe I expected him to be relieved at the head of the section, but not to be fired from the club. It has been a very hard moment for me, but I am from Barça, I have always been and I will be whoever is on the board ”.

Barrufet (Barcelona, ​​50), achieved 71 titles as goalkeeper for the Barça team from 1988 to 2010. He played 280 times with the Spanish team and won the World Cup in 2005 and two bronze medals at the 2000 and 2008 Games. 2010, Barrufet, who is a lawyer, became part of the Barcelona legal services and in October 2015 he was appointed manager of the handball section.

“I have to abide by the decision,” repeated Barrufet in reference to his dismissal. “I am an employee of the club and this is a dismissal, said that clearly, but now I do not want to think about anything other than the two titles that we still have, the Champions League and the Asobal Cup. Barça is my club and it will always be ”. Barrufet explained in Rac1 that the most difficult moment was when he had to explain it to the members of the squad before the news leaked. “At home they were already prepared because we saw that this possibility existed.”

You can follow SPORTS in Facebook Y Twitter, or sign up here to receive our weekly newsletter.

Leave a Reply