Bayern Munich’s President Herbert Hainer has once again defended himself in front of sports director Hasan Salihamidzic, who most recently fell out of favor with the supporters of the record champions due to the internal disputes with coach Hansi Flick and his publicly formulated wish to terminate his contract in the summer.
“Objective criticism is of course always permissible. However, we condemn personal attacks and agitation in the strongest possible way – there is not the slightest room for that at FC Bayern,” Hainer was quoted on Wednesday on the FCB’s social media channels.
The 66-year-old had already defended the sports board’s personnel policy on Tuesday during a members’ dialogue in the run-up to the home game against Bayer Leverkusen (2-0). In the past weeks and months, this had repeatedly been part of the open conflict between Salihamidzic and Flick.
Among other things, Bayern coach Salihamidzic had indirectly but publicly snubbed the squad planning by saying that FCB “last year had a team that was qualitatively – I think everyone knows that – better than the team this year”.
“We all understand that the coach demands new players, and also top players, so that we can maintain this level,” said Hainer on Tuesday: “But we have had a pandemic since March 8 and no more spectators in the stadiums.”
“FC Bayern closed against hostility towards Salihamidzic”
In this matter, Hainer referred to a loss of income of around 150 million euros that the record champions had due to the corona virus. The coach traditionally looks to short-term success, Hainer continues, but the sports director is also responsible for “economic stability”.
However, the conciliatory notes that Hainer struck came too late to cement the relationship between Salihamidzic and Flick. Last Saturday, Flick confirmed in an interview with Skyfor having asked FC Bayern to terminate their contract, which runs until 2023, at the end of the season.
As a result, Bayern fans took the side of the triple coach and started an online petition demanding the immediate resignation or the expulsion of Salihamidzic. By Wednesday evening around 63,000 people had signed the petition.
However, FC Bayern will probably not meet this requirement. “FC Bayern are unanimous and emphatically oppose hostility towards Hasan Salihamidzic,” emphasized Hainer. As a result of his promotion from sports director to sports director in 2020, the 44-year-old’s contract with the German record champions will run until the end of the 2023 season.
The fan initiative “Pro Hansi Flick, Brazzo out!” accused the board of directors of defaming the legitimate opinion of the appendix “with the aid of the accusation of agitation”. “It goes without saying that we distance ourselves from any form of hostility,” said a statement from the group, which claims to represent around 5,000 Bayern fans worldwide. In their poll, 66,000 spoke out against Salihamidzic and in favor of coach Hansi Flick.